Sacred Portal Doula Care
Regardless of who we are, we all enter this world through mother. Women are the sacred portals and childbirth is the paramount human experience that allow us to harvest much love, strength, trust and more... As a massage therapist, doula, Dancing For Birth(TM) Instructor and mother, I provide kinetic and informational childbirth education and support. You deserve to be empowered and supported regardless of how or where you give birth. You deserve to enjoy an intimate environment where you feel private, safe and unobserved. I trained as a birth doula through the Simkin Center at Seattle Midwifery School as well as Dancing For Birth(TM) and other pleasurable birth trainings not to mention my own child's birth and the many families I've had the honor to support. I believe birth is primal and intuitive. You, your body and baby know best what to do and I can assist you and your partner as needed using gravity/motion/dance, breathing, labor massage, acupressure, reflexology, rebozo, visualizations/meditations/mantras, aromatherapy and have a birth pool for home birthing. Every birth is unique and it is my pleasure to be alongside you so you can let go and labor in a state of love and trust. I also provide support for conscious birthing of the placenta (your baby's guardian friend) including optimal cord care such as delayed clamping to non-severence for Lotus birth and it's various options. Please inquire if you have questions about Lotus birth. I'm always happy to talk about it. Gentle cord detaching such as sterile cord burning ceremonies, placenta prints, dream catchers and planting ceremonies are also an option. I do not do placenta encapsulation, but can give referrals and help manage its handling. I provide these services for home births, birthing centers and hospitals.
I also provide guidance based on my research and trainings with eating a nutrient dense diet, eating cultured pro-biotic foods for a healthy microbiome (that you will be seeding your baby with) and are vital to a healthy pregnancy and labor, using herbs and essential oils for a healthy pregnancy, birth and baby. I provide maternity massage from preconception to postpartum and specialty spa services 'Mother Love Boon' (prenatal) and 'Welcome Home; A Mother Warming' (postnatal) which can include postpartum abdominal binding. You can read about them on my massage & bodywork page.
Exceptional wellness care through this period of life is essential! An ounce of prevention and preparation is most worth a pound of cure during this formative time.
Maternity massage & doula support have been shown to:
- ease pregnancy/motherhood strains/stresses, increasing health and happiness
- decrease mood disorders
- deepen connection with doula for established trust within the labor process
- shorten labor & shift perception from scared to sacred!
- decrease likelihood of medical interventions and Cesarean births and promote gentle Cesarean birth should the absolute need arise - it is still vital to have doula support for Cesarean birth through to postpartum recovery
- increase VBAC success!
- increase satisfaction with birth experience and motherhood
- increase confidence in parenting and "mother's intuition"
- higher breastfeeding rates
- fewer infant illnesses and more...
Being pregnant and giving birth are times in a woman's life she will always remember. This is also baby's first experience of life on the outside ~ baptism into our world. How we enter this world matters! In pregnancy, as baby's brain cells are forming and gathering, maternal well-being affects the pathways formed. Reducing stress through pregnancy, protecting the birthing process and atmosphere (no matter what the birthing choices are) has a positive effect on baby's developing nervous system. Having a constant knowledgeable companion present throughout pregnancy and birth who is outside of your main medical care provider and your immediate friends and family circle is a blessing and a boon. It is wise to have support and outlets for stress such as:
- Toning, strengthening & meditative routines like Dancing For Birth(TM) Bodies For Birth and Yoga
- Regular massage and doula support for the childbearing year
I enjoy establishing a relationship with my doula clients through massage and/or Dancing For Birth classes as this builds comfort and trust in the birthing process and helps us assure that mom's body is primed for labor and healthy postpartum recovery.
Sacred Portal Doula Services $1800
Additional $100 for LaBassine Professional Birth Pool (includes supplies)
Lotus birth care kits and aftercare (for complete nonseverence) / art prints / cord art; dream catchers can have additional fees - please inquire.
- Initial meet & greet
- 1 Dancing For Birth(TM) class
- 2 prenatal appointments (2 hrs. ea) naming your birth principles/priorities and making our plans to welcome your baby. Practicing labor positions and breathing techniques so you feel skilled and ready (recommend Dancing For Birth classes). Externally, assessing and treating your pelvis and sacral area if necessary as this is the doorway for birth and it's best to know how it's functioning before you aim to use it. Processing fears (moving from scared to sacred!) General birthing support.
- Available for questions/emotional support by phone and e.mail from the beginning of our contract and on-call 24 hours a day 2 weeks prior to the Estimated Due Date & 2 weeks after.
- Presence for entirety of labor (as early as we determine you need) with comfort measures; body wisdom and movement, labor massage, acupressure, reflexology, aroma and herbal therapy all helping you to soften and open to the process finding your strength and comfort. I support and hold space for you as a neutral loving witness to your birth process and child's entrance. Birth is primal and powerful and will take all of your focus. I've got your back and make sure your needs and desires are met, respected and adhered to so you can labor in love and trust. I keep sacred space for the 'golden hour' after birth and support your needs as you adjust to your new state during initial postpartum transitioning and breastfeeding until you are settled. If you are doing any level of Lotus birth, I will stay from 4 to 6 hours after birth to assist with the initial aftercare and be sure you understand the process. If you are birthing at home, this can also allow your new family to receive a good first sleep while knowing someone is there keeping an eye on you and baby. If your birth plan changes dramatically, I can help you understand your options and assure that your needs and desires are still being cared for. I stay with you for any transfers or surgeries (as allowed) should this unavoidably arise.
- 1 home visit after birth (2-3 hrs) in the week or two following delivery to reconnect about the event and share our perspectives. Mom gets a belly warming abdominal massage and/or reflexology treatment. I also provide support for breastfeeding and other newborn care needs
- DVD lending library available for 2 week check-out: Orgasmic Birth; the best-kept secret, Undisturbed Birth; the science and wisdom of natures hormonal blueprint for labor and birth, Happy Health Child documentary
- 1 private class: infant massage or natural infant hygiene
- Back up doula in case of illness or injury on my part
A retainer of $800 secures my time around your EDD and opens our line of informational and emotional support. The remainder can be paid at your convenience, but should be paid in-full 2 weeks prior to EDD. Additional services such as massage* and Dancing for Birth(TM) classes are paid separately. *doula clients receive $25 off each massage service or DFB class package within our on-call contract period through to 3 months post partum
Sacred Portal Doula Services $2300
includes: everything above plus 6 hours of massage services. Can be used for 60, 90 or 120 min. sessions.
I look forward to keeping birth loving and sacred for you and yours. Thank you.
Massage & doula services can be paid for with HSA, FSA & HRA accounts and/or can sometimes be reimbursed through your insurance provider.
Please contact me with inquiries/questions of how I can serve you throughout this marvelous life event.
Birth is beautiful! though not always pretty ;)
If a woman doesn't look like a goddess in labor, someone isn't treating her right!
The creator isn't a careless mechanic. You are not a lemon and your body is not a machine
The sacrament of birth belongs to the feminine